Wednesday 14 May 2014

misery loves company: gurugossiper.com


A bit of a different post from me today about something that has really been on my mind overnight..

So last night a few minutes before I went to bed I decided to do one last check of Twitter and saw that something pretty big had gone down in the blogging community. I'll be honest, I was late to the party (so late in fact that the party was over!) and could only get a little bit of information from reading other people's tweets and hashtags.

From what I could gather, it seems that there is a website called gurugossiper.com that is a place where people can go and publicly 'bash' other bloggers and youtubers - and can do it anonymously. It seems that last night some of these anonymous bashers had been revealed and were getting lots of grief over Twitter because of what they had been saying. I'm not completely sure if this is the total story so please let me know if this is right or wrong!

But what really griped me about this entire thing is that something like gurugossiper.com even exists. I have heard in the past about the dark side of blogging, but what with being a pretty small blog within this community I have always only had lovely comments and tweets. To have this entire site dedicated to shaming bloggers completely shocked me and it makes me question who on earth can think that this website is a good idea?!

Users of gurugossiper.com seem completely warped, commenting on bloggers' and youtubers' lives - including their paychecks, their boyfriends, their families, where they live, what they look like, how they style their hair, their weight - even what their bloody eyebrows look like!

 It annoys me no end how these users think they know these bloggers and youtubers enough to comment on the private parts of their lives - just because we watch a 5 minute video or read a blog post does not mean that we have the right to say whatever the hell we want about them - they are just normal people who happen to have a blog or youtube channel with a large readership. If you don't like what they have to say then don't subscribe, you don't have to bitch and whine about them on a website!

They do say that as you go up, there are more and more people who want to pull you back down. It's sad to think that as these people get more successful they get more hate in response, and that it is only the horrible comments that get airtime. If this was a website full of lovely comments about these bloggers and youtubers, it definitely wouldn't be written about and creating such a storm.

Basically, the people who use sites like this are most likely doing it because they are jealous, and as they say misery loves company. I kind of wish I had never even found out about this dark side to blogging just because it shows how jealous people can get because of someone else's success.

Were you involved in the Twitter storm last night? I'd love to hear what actually happened!
What do you think about sites like gurugossiper.com?

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about this!





No comments:

Post a Comment